Donald Trump Questions Obama’s Admission to Columbia, Harvard Law

Donald Trump was at it again Monday night questioning President Obama’s past.  Thankfully, this time the focus was on the President’s educational background rather than his birth certificate.  While the change is refreshing, it’s still nothing new as the Trumpster’s raised these questions on a number of occasions before; and all were equally lacking in actual substance.

The story goes like this.  Donald Trump says Barack Obama was a “terrible student; he then points out that he went to two of the most prestigious schools in the world; and then you’re supposed to draw the conclusion that something sinister was afoot.  And just in case you’re struggling to connect the dots, he throws in some anecdotal evidence in the form of telling you that he’s got friends with kids (with great grades) that can’t get in to those kind of schools.

POLITICO: Donald Trump is upping the ante against President Barack Obama’s legitimacy, raising questions on Monday night about how the president was admitted to two Ivy League schools.

Trump openly questioned how Obama, who he said had been a “terrible student,” got accepted into Columbia University for undergraduate studies and then Harvard Law School.

“I heard he was a terrible student, terrible,” Trump told the Associated Press in an interview, a claim he’s made in the past but one he doubled down on by suggesting he’s probing that area of the president’s life.

“How does a bad student go to Columbia and then to Harvard? I’m thinking about it, I’m certainly looking into it. Let him show his records,” he said, without providing backup for his claim.

Trump added, “I have friends who have smart sons with great marks, great boards, great everything and they can’t get into Harvard.”

“We don’t know a thing about this guy,” Trump said. “There are a lot of questions that are unanswered about our president.”

The problem with Trump’s argument is also the reason that it resonates with everyday Americans.  He’s gossiping like a jaded mother who just found out her kid didn’t get into Harvard.  Ignoring that Obama was an Ivy League “legacy”, Mr. Trump’s also making the mistaken assumption that admission to Columbia or Harvard Law in 2011 works the same way it did in the 80′s.  What Trump fails to see is that the admissions process to even “lesser” schools has changed dramatically in the last decade; and that was after changing even more dramatically the decade before that.  Test scores have gone through the roof, racial preference has come and gone and come again in a different form, and wonderful little resume-builders like “community organizing” have carried weight with hippie administrators regardless of the decade.

The reality is this.  Just like any senior partner at the biggest law firms of this country would tell you that they couldn’t get through the front door of their firms under current hiring practices, President Obama probably would not get admitted today to Harvard Law – even with his community organizing background – if he was the “terrible student” Mr. Trump says he was.  The game has changed.  And make no mistake.  It is a game; and liberal hippies make all the rules.  So, if Mr. Trump is wondering why his rich, (probably) white, (possibly) conservative friends’ kids can’t get into Harvard and Columbia, he should probably remember that he’s talking about institutions that pride themselves on “righting the wrongs” done by rich, white folk, like him; and his friends.

Use Facebook to Comment on this Post

12 comments for “Donald Trump Questions Obama’s Admission to Columbia, Harvard Law

1. Jamie Noe
    April 26, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Well said asshole.

2. Akhenaton
    April 27, 2011 at 4:30 am

Mr Trump, all your money could never get you into one foot of President Obama’s shoes educationally. Your politics of smear, and discredit has no place in America’s future, the young people of America has risen in the year 2008, they were like the Phoenix bird decending on the OBELISK called BARACK OBAMA,to herald in a new DAWN for that GREAT country. Sir i think you’re the wealthiest liability for the Republication Party…

3. Bill Jansen
    April 28, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Trump is questioning Obama’s admission to Columbia and Yale Law School? Obama was president of the Yale Law Review, an honor reserved for the best and most respected students. But, does he question how George Bush, whose father and grandfather are among the biggest donors, got into Yale, when W would likely have had trouble getting into a decent local university. Does the blatant racism here bother anyone else?

• April 28, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Harvard. Harvard Law School – not Yale.

And so you’re comparing George W. Bush and Barack Obama. You chose to make a statement about generational wealth and privilege and then you draw the conclusion that this is about “racism.” Pardon me if I fail to see the linkage.

As a side note. When someone turns something – lets say a ridiculous issue where a rich guys pisses and moans that another rich guys kids didn’t get into Harvard; so something supremely ridiculous – into a “racist” issue; who is really the one bringing race into the discussion? Shouldn’t ignorance or privilege just rule the day? I think you’re the one seeing this from a black – white perspective.

I’m not defending Trump and I certainly did nothing close to that in this piece. He comes off like a moron on this issue. That said, you come off like the racist for comparing a white president to a black one. Trump did no such thing.

• Bill Jansen
        April 28, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I appreciate, and agree with, your comments about Trump. But, when a person applies entirely different standards to persons of different races, that is racism. Pointing it out is not.

BTW, while I am not a Republican, I applaud your reasoned discourse on issues of concern to conservatives. The country could use more of that.

• April 28, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Thanks Bill for the comment and for coming back. I do appreciate the feedback and your thoughts on the matter. As for not being Republican – totally fine with me. We welcome all around here. RR is a place where we challenge conventional Republican talking points. From time to time I go token Republican too, but for the most part it’s about offering something different. My other contributor – Scratcher – is anything but a Republican. She is the anti-Republican in many ways, but we still appreciate her work.

On the subject in question, my take is simple. I believe that sometimes two people get into “fights” and one happens to be white and the other black. Rather than drawing the conclusion that one or both is racist, I simply begin at the starting point that both are assholes and then see where we go from there. In this case, it took me to the fact that Trump has been living in a sheltered little bubble surrounded by equally sheltered folks for so long that he hasn’t the slightest clue about university admissions. Race was no where on the radar. My only point is this. If we really want to put race behind us, why do we keep bringing it up? If we’re truly moving toward a post-racial era like many believe we are, why are there so many still holding on to the race-baiting finger pointing of yesteryear.

I actually have a post that will go up tomorrow on this. I hope you will come back and share your thoughts once its posted. Thanks again.

T

• Bill Jansen
            April 28, 2011 at 4:53 pm

All good points. I think you are right that Trump lives in a bubble that only allows him to see the world a certain way – including his delusion that he could be a viable presidential candidate.
            I once was a registered Republican but basically couldn’t be in a party that embraced the wackier elements of the right.

I look forward to your future postings.

• T. Wilson
      April 29, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Hell yeah that Shit bothers me, Donald Trump is a Prejudice Asshole!

4. T. Wilson
    April 29, 2011 at 5:00 pm

He don’t have nothing better to do but, pretend like he is the smartest man on this earth, I think he is good playing on reality shows! And talking money, stick to that Donald Chump!

Comments are closed.