Thad McCotter for President?

Thaddeus McCotterAnother Member of the House to attempt to do what no sitting member has done since 1880 – win the Presidency of the United States?  It looks like Representative Thad McCotter has his sights on doing just that.  The Michigan Republican is reportedly set to make the news of his candidacy official July 2 bringing the tally of Congressman in the field to three (Michele Bachmann and Ron Paul).

USA TODAY:  Rep. Thaddeus McCotter, R-Mich., will launch his presidential campaign on July 2, making him the third sitting member of the House to run for the White House in 2012.

McCotter will make his bid official in his home state of Michigan, according to a knowledgeable source in the campaign who declined to be identified.

McCotter caused a stir at the Ames Straw Poll campaign space auction last week when he attempted to anonymously secure a key place for the August event, according to The Iowa Republican.

His representative was eventually forced to reveal her client after the other campaigns, who thought the anonymous bidder was for an undeclared candidate such as ex-Alaska governor Sarah Palin or Texas governor Rick Perry.

McCotter reportedly paid $18,000 for the prime location that ex-Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee occupied during the 2007 Ames Straw Poll.

Huckabee’s showing in the straw poll helped boost his profile in the state. He later won the 2008 Iowa Caucuses.

Smitty’s excited…

“I’m totally a fan of this guy: a wonkish chap who serves up a pure stream of liberty-oriented thinking with dry, understated humor.”

Allahpundit’s skeptical…

“Maybe McCotter’s thinking that Carl Levin, who’ll be 80 in 2014, will decide not to run for reelection, and that a presidential run now will help introduce him to Michigan voters statewide ahead of that?”

As to my thoughts on this news…

I can honestly say I’ve never written a thing here about Rep. McCotter.  He’s a likable guy if you like politicians with a dry sense of humor and an honest sense of self.  I don’t know that he’s “presidential material”, but I’m not sure that I even begin to know that that terms means anymore.  So, what the heck?  Thad McCotter for President.  Well, maybe not just yet.  Let me do some more homework on the guy and we’ll get back to that.

NATIONAL JOURNAL has Eight Things You Should Know about Thaddeus McCotter

H/T HotAir

Use Facebook to Comment on this Post

12 comments for “Thad McCotter for President?

1. July 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Here’s a small sample of McCotter votes that most fiscal conservatives should find distasteful:

Voted “Yes” on expanding SCHIP
    Voted “Yes” on the Federal Fair Minimum Wage Act
    Voted “Yes” to raising the debt ceiling for a week
    Voted “No” to allowing Medicare to negotiate drug costs
    Voted “Yes” to retroactively tax Wall Street bonuses
    Voted “Yes” to Obama’s “Helping Families Save Their Homes Act of 2009″
    Voted “Yes” to the auto bailouts
    Voted “Yes” to the Bush stimulus

Death by 1,000 papercuts. We need hardcore, radical change. And an entrenched Michigan Republican is, by nature, much too liberal for me.

• July 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm

He may well appeal, however, to the 20% of Independents who can make or break an election. And, yes, I’m one of them.

• Antimatter RINO
      July 3, 2011 at 7:51 am

I agree with you 100%. As a southern conservative (FL)with a background in presidential campaigns, I have a hard time squaring his past votes with my conservative values. Appears to me to be one more member of the GOP “Settler” movement; ie., someone who will settle for what they think they can get versus standing on what is right.

2. July 1, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I still have a postcard from Mr. Mcotter that he personally wrote to me several years ago. I treasure that, and was I ever so excited to hear him say he was running for President. When I mention his name, people say “who is that” and I have said if he ever runs for President you will know who he is. Thank you for giving up your time and effort to try to save our country, the country I love and that we are losing. I am widowed and don’t have much money but I will be glad to put a sign in my yard or do what I can to help your compaign. Thanks for being a great patriot.

3. July 2, 2011 at 11:56 am

Wit and wisdom are like salt and pepper. It takes the right proportion of the two to give (a) “good taste”. When his donation site surfaces on the Net, I’ll send him $25, to start with. After that, I must be convinced–same with M. Bachmann. I have McCotter’s recent book. He WILL be able to describe the basics to the general population.

4. July 2, 2011 at 8:11 pm

So far I have tried to make lemonade out of lemons, so to speak, regarding the other GOP candidates. What a relief that someone capable, but with no baggage, is finally in the running. He is witty, articulate, extremely intelligent, and common sense conservative. He’s been interviewed many times on FoxNews and always hits the mark on conservativism and constitutionality. This guy is the real thing, and we need him for President.

5. July 2, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I love when he is a guest on Red Eye.

6. Steve Martinko
    July 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Independents will flock to McCotter because he has always represented the people. Don’t under estimate him! McCotter believes there are 3 pillars to society; Govt, Business and family. Each pillar has its duty to care for the people and when one falls the other two have to carry the load. His voting record is all about supporting each of these pillars. I’m very happy to know he is not afraid to stand up for his beliefs and work hard for each and every one of us!

• July 13, 2011 at 7:57 pm

About those pillars.. if the government pretends to be able to take care of people, people will not see the need to work to make the other pillars strong. I say we make family and business be the pillars and the federal government should only protect us from invasion. State government has it’s place also, but the distinction should be clear. The Federal Gov’s job is to protect the sovereignty of the states and so far they are not doing a good job.

7. NORM GURR
    July 10, 2011 at 10:12 am

You are the only one that is right in regard to the future of the USA,

The key is to work our way out of a massive deficit.That means modernizing and investing in new technologies in order to compete.It means providing low capital costs for business. low guaranteed tax rates, It means tax breaks for those that innovate. It means reducing the laws that restrict business creation. It means restructuring all levels of government to reduce costs and increase efficiency and productivity.

iT MEANS LOW TAXES SO PEOPLE HAVE MORE TO SPEND AND INVEST.

THE USA GOVERNMENT DOES NOT OWE PEOPLE A LIVING. EVERY AMERICAN MUST DO HIS AND HER PART [AS IF IT WERE ANOTHER SECOND WORLD WAR] AND MAKE THE SACRIFICES AND WORK YO CREATE COMPETITIVE INDUSTRIES.

I ask, how is it that Michigan has lost so many jobs, yet across Lake Huron and the Detroit river,the Canadian economy is booming. Look at the actions and programs of the Harper Conservative Government= and emulate it.

You can and must be elected president. Just Keep stating your simple message as I have stated and I believe is your mantra.

OUR GREAT FUTURE IS OUR PEOIPLE ROLLING UP THEIR SLEEVES, AND CREATING INDUSTRY AND JOBS AND SO MORE OVERALL TAXES TO GET OUR DEBT UNDER CONTROL.

HOW WEALTHY WOULD WE BE IF WE CAN INCREASE EMPLOYMENT BY JUST 10% COMBINED WITH THE NEW TECHNOLOGIES TO MAKE US MORE COMPETITIVE.
    ALL THE BEST

8. Freeme
    August 13, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Mr. McCotter…
    You are a breath of fresh air in a stagnant field of parrots and pawns. YOU SOARED LIKE AN EAGLE IN IOWA! I appreciate your clarity and articulate presentation, and the ONE with knowledge and substance. You sppeared a little disturbed in the opening, but you laid it on the line when you got warmed up…ending with stellar comments. WHERE ARE YOUR SUPPORTERS FROM MICHIGAN?

Comments are closed.